Sat, Dec 16|
Masterclass Advanced Scene Study - Chubbuck Technique with Adam Davenport
In this workshop, actors will learn how to use inner monologue and other techniques to strengthen their on-camera work for film and television, through body, voice and mind. These are the same tools used by Oscar winners including Brad Pitt, Halle Berry and Charlize Theron.
Time & Location
Dec 16, 2023, 10:00 AM – Dec 17, 2023, 6:00 PM
ACT, Fabriekstraat 38, 2547 Lint, België
About the event
Adam Davenport, BAFTA member and Satellite Award winner, introduces you to the tools of the Oscar-winning Chubbuck technique, used by the likes of Brad Pitt, Halle Berry and Charlize Theron, to empower your career and bring your screen performances to the next level. He also will show you how to use genre and archetype to build or reinvent one’s career.
2 Day workshop
Sat 16 Dec 2023 & Sun 17 Dec 2023
From 10:00 - 18:00
Participants - €295 incl VAT
Auditors - €120 incl VAT
Actors will learn how to use OBJECTIVES to win their scenes and make
viewers fans of their work. Actors become stars because viewers strongly identify with
the character and the choices the performer makes: this creates a fan of your work. We
- How to play from your heart and body using impulse instead of being in your head.
- Are there overall objectives that tend to resonate more strongly with audiences?
- Are there overall objectives that tend to generate more award-winning performances?
- If a director gives you an adjustment that is result-oriented (be happier, be angrier), how can you change my scene objective to give the director what they want without falling into the trap of self-generating emotion?
- How to increase the stakes and make the audience more invested in the story by creating more obstacles.
- How endowing the other actor in the scene with a person from your real life can give you more emotional history than imagination.
Actors will present reworks of their scenes using the tools they learned on
the first day. The actors’ work will be filmed and they will receive the videos at the end of
the workshop. We will also examine:
- How using beats helps the actor find and replicate the thought process of the character.
- How are actions like mini-objectives that give you the most effective way to achieve what you want to win in each scene?
- How to play beats and actions to affect the other person instead of just talking at them.
- How your need for a reaction from the other person empowers that person, because it makes the other person feel necessary and important.
- How actions can be accomplished both verbally and behaviorally.
- How working to get a reaction from your scene partner keeps you in the moment.
- How using personal images in your mind when speaking or hearing about a person, place, thing or event can authentically produce emotion.
- How the MOMENT BEFORE increases your need to win your scene objective by giving it urgency and immediacy.
- How to use a WHAT IF based on a real, plausible fear if you cannot find a personal event that is strong enough.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Adam Davenport is the Founder and Artistic Director of The International Acting Studio (TIAS), with regular ongoing workshops in Belgrade, Budapest and Prague overseeing the coaching of more than 100 actors in Europe, including Jelena Gavrilović, Ana Geislerova, Kata Dobo, Slaven Došlo and Jana Plodkova. He has helped actors from the region secure roles on international productions, such as The Crown for Netflix, and studio projects for Universal, Sony, Amazon Prime and Legendary Pictures. Ivana Chubbuck certified him as the first acting teacher to introduce the Chubbuck technique to Serbia and Hungary.
A graduate of Yale University, he is a member of the National Alliance of Acting Teachers and the only acting teacher in the Balkan region certified to teach the Chubbuck Technique. He is a member of BAFTA and the European Film Academy. At the age of 26, he became the youngest director accepted into the Actors Studio. For ten years, he worked with Academy Award and Emmy winner Melissa Leo, also playing a pivotal role in her successful 2011 Oscar campaign for Best Supporting Actress in The Fighter. He is the recipient of the Panavision New Filmmaker Award, a distinction shared by Paul Thomas Anderson and Steven Soderbergh on their first filmmaking efforts.
He recently appeared opposite Kate Hudson in Glass Onion, for which he
received a Satellite Award for Best Acting Ensemble.
- Ticket type
This ticket is if you wish to ACTIVELY participate in the workshopPrice€295.00
VAT includedTax: VAT included
+€7.38 service fee+€7.38 service fee
- Ticket type
This ticket is if you wish to audit the workshop. This does not grant the right to actively participate in the class.Price€120.00
VAT includedTax: VAT included
+€3.00 service fee+€3.00 service fee